Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 44- "My First Birthday Without Both Parents"

Footprints of Death...............

I am blessed to have lived to see my birthday today. I just made the big "37". I think that I did well today without my parents being here. I was actually very grateful to both of them today. My Mom had a stroke when she was 7 months pregnant. She was paralyzed on her left side. The doctors told my worried Dad that he should choose which loved one that he wanted to keep. They asked him to decide whether or not he wanted his wife or his daughter. I am told that he boldly proclaimed, "I want both!" January 22, 1973 the landmark abortion case Roe vs. Wade was passed into law, so on my birthday my Dad would have had the legal right to have me aborted based on my prognosis. My Dad called all of his family and church family and everyone began to pray. I was taken by C-Section and I lived in the hospital for a few months because I could not breathe on my own. The doctors gave my parents little hope that I would not be a special needs child. They told my parents that they would have to take care of me for the rest of my life, that I would not live too long, and if I did live I would never do the things that kids do (play, go to school, speak, etc). Today I was grateful because my parents trusted in the God of the universe and the God of the universe decided that I would be here, do well, be an honor roll student, a Dean's List student, a singer, a writer, a helpful and loving daughter, a sister, a grand-daughter, a professional, a song-writer, a photographer, a creator, a comedic personality, and a friend. I am all of these things because God (Jesus) "destined" me to be all of these things and He proved all of the doctors wrong. For this reason alone, I did not feel grief today so there is no need to go through the BAADD (5 stages of grief) process. I am blessed, I am whole, and I am glad that I had two wonderful parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment