Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Artie Williams III: The Man of Quiet Power & Strength

Footprints of Death...............

Photo: We are shocked, saddened and grieving...but we grieve in hope...knowing he is with Jesus and we will see Artie again.

My sister and I met Artie at Valencia Christian Center in 2009.  He served in the church and made the entire congregation feel safe by standing at the entrance to the sanctuary and by making sure that the services were held without disruption or interruption by intruders.

My sister and I were singers on the "Praise and Worship Team" and one day Artie approached my sister and asked her opinion about music. He told her that he wanted to have more gospel music to listen to and he wanted her recommendation.  For the next year, Artie and my sister became fast friends.  Yes, I really do mean friends, although many people do not believe that men and women can just be friends, I can attest to the fact that it is possible.

Anyway, by the summer of 2010, my older sister and Artie spoke often.  He would come by our house for dinner and we would discuss his love of all things SCUBA DIVING.  Lol!  He was so excited about his love for the sport, he made me want to dive. He told me that he would take my sister and I scuba diving, but  then I confessed that I was not ready for diving. He asked me why and I said, "Um, I can't swim."  Most people would have laughed, but Artie politely said, "Well, you learn how to swim, then I will take the both of you scuba diving."  I do not know why I was so happy to hear his encouragement, but I was. In just a few moment Artie had given me a short term goal of learning how to swim and a long term goal of going scuba diving.  Wow!

The summer of 2010 was a trying time for my older sister as she was diagnosed with major abdominal problems.  Both she and I were worried about her health and her life.  During the summer, my sister endured blood transfusions and treatments to increase her iron levels.  She needed surgery, but the doctors refused to book a date for her until her iron levels improved. I watched my sister's Spirit weaken and there was not much that I could say or do to make her feel better, but her daily call from Artie during this time always did the trick.  By the time my sister's surgery was scheduled for the second week of August 2010, her doctors were prepared for the worst, but my sister, myself, and Artie were believing God for a miracle for my sister's health.

When surgery day arrived, my sister received a call from Artie. I am sure he was worried about her, but he told her that she would be fine.  I stayed with my sister until she had to go into surgery preparation. I was strong in her presence, but inside I was afraid.  The surgery was supposed to take about 2 or 3 hours, but she was in surgery for about 5 to 6 hours.  As I became familiar with Cedar Sinai Hospital by visiting the cafeteria, various waiting areas, and several surrounding locations on the campus I was met with constant calls from Artie.  About an hour into the surgery Artie called me and said, "Are you ok?  Was T in good spirits when she went into surgery?  Did they tell you how long the surgery will last?"  I answered all of his questions.  He told me that he had a busy work schedule but that he would check in periodically.  I guess I did know the meaning of periodically because he called about very couple of hours.  Each time that I felt my phone vibrate I thought, "Oh good this must be my brother or my other sister calling to check on my sister."  I was so wrong. It was Artie!  Each time he was more and more concerned about why my sister's surgery was taking so long. I told him that I did not know, but one of her surgeons told me that his portion of the surgery went well but the gastrointestinal doctor had a lot of work to do.

After the surgery, my sister recovered rather quickly. Within 4 days she was released from the hospital, but I was faced with yet another obstacle, getting my sister who just had major abdominal surgery up three flights of stairs to get home to our apartment.  As soon as I realized that she was coming home sooner that I expected I began to call all of the men that my sister knew because I could not physically carry her up those three flights of stairs if the need arose.  I called men who my sister babysat for and they said, "No."  I called men that my sister had cooked for often and they said, "No."  I even asked men that she was acquainted with and they said, "Maybe", which to me, still meant, "No."  Finally, with little hope of getting help, I called Artie.  I said, "Artie, I have a problem.  I know that you work and I am so sorry to bother you but T is coming home tomorrow and I have no one to help me get her up the three flights of stairs leading to our apartment."  Without hesitation he asked what time she would be released.  He said, "I'll be there, just call me when you are leaving the hospital."  I followed Artie's instructions and when I arrived at home he was waiting in the parking lot in over 100 degree weather. I could not believe it.  He really came to help.

Artie was one of the best!  He was compassionate, gentle, honorable, possessed a lot of integrity , and kind.  He was a quiet power and strength.  I remember one Sunday at church I complimented him on his suit and tie and he just smiled as if it was hard for him to receive the compliment.   He was a great man!  My sister and Artie were close friends, so I am writing this on her behalf.  Just as Artie Williams III was a Quiet Strength, I was a Quiet Observer of the kind of man that he was.

We are sorry to have lost you on August 18, 2012.  Artie, you are and forever will be greatly missed! 

1 comment: